Customized iOS and Android application built for a pre-market diabetes monitoring device enables the collection and transmission of data for the purposes of a study
Dr. Mark Clements, Children’s Mercy Hospital
Low energy Bluetooth, Bluetooth, Restful API, React-Native, SQL Server, MySQL
illumisoft was working with Dr. Mark Clements at Children’s Mercy Hospital on a clinical review platform for a study of the impact of physical activity on glucose levels in people with diabetes. As part of the study, participants were using a beta version of a device in development by another vendor: a Bluetooth-enabled smart add-on device for insulin pen injectors that attached to insulin pens, collected the data of insulin injections, and transmitted it to a smartphone application.
The vendor only had an application available in iOS (still in development) and the study required it to be available in both iOS and Android.
Because the device was still in development, there were still issues with its hardware and software interface that posed challenges to the clinical trial participants as well as to the researchers conducting the study.
- With the device vendor’s permission, illumisoft developed an insulin dose tracking application (IDTA) that could control their device. The license was granted for study purposes only as this was a beta version of the device.
- illumisoft helped the vendor improve the device’s hardware and software interface to make it easier and more secure to connect to. Additionally, illumisoft offered suggestions about caching and reconnection algorithms that helped the vendor complete the design of the product.
- Enabled researchers to gather data about insulin injections necessary to their study
- Enabled researchers to obtain usable data from a device that was still in development, a year before it was available on the marketplace
- Reduced the total review time by the clinical research team by streamlining the data-gathering process, since data collected from the device was available on the research platform illumisoft built for the study